Driving Instructor in Liverpool


This post covers obtaining your license and start work as a driving instructor in Liverpool. A driving instructor is any individual that teaches another individual to push for money or benefit. To do this legally you need to hold a Driving Instructor’s licence. You can learn to be a driving instructor for car, motorbike and heavy vehicle but you’ll need separate training for every one.

There are two main measures:

  • Get the licence
  • Find employment, purchase or combine a franchise or start your own school

Obtaining a Driving Instructor Licence


  1. You’re at least 21 years old
  2. You have held a full driver’s licence of the applicable class (i.e. car, motorbike or heavy vehicle) for at least three years throughout the four-year period immediately before your application
  3. You’ve been authorised by Roads and Maritime Services to undertake an approved course in driving instruction, and have passed.


In the application process through to finishing the credentials usually takes around six weeks and the Procedure is:

  • Documents and checks
  • Theory and practical tests
  • Letter of eligibility
  • Driving Instructor training Program
  • Regulator Final Assessment

Documents and checks

You will need to provide:

  • A finished Driving Instructor application form (PDF, 391Kb)
  • A completed medical check stating that you are fit to drive (pages 4 and 5 of the application form)
  • Passed Authorities and criminal checks
  • Two signatures
  • Four color passport-sized photos.


You will Have to:

Pass an extended knowledge test on road rules (90 questions) — remember to practise the questions using This Site
Car teachers must pass the driving test (95% correct) prior to being issued a letter of eligibility; motorbike instructors must pass a Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST) with 100% result.
If you tackle the test in an automatic car, your Driving Instructor licence will have a state that only permits you to teach in an automatic vehicle.

You’re expected to supply the vehicle for many driving/riding evaluations and assessments.

Completing this point will entitle you to a letter of eligibility.

Letter of eligibility

Before you can enroll in a training class you should have received your letter of eligibility from Roads and Maritime.
Instructor training Program

The teacher training standards are nationally agreed and are contained in the Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF):

Cars: Driving teachers must pass the Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport — Automobile Driving Instruction) TLI41210
Heavy vehicles: Driving teachers have to pass the Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport — Heavy Vehicle Driving Instruction) TLI41310
Motorcycles: Running instructors must pass the Roads and Maritime pre-learner rider training course for a student, before commencing the teacher training with an approved course provider.

Go to this page for approved course providers and data for interstate driving teachers and heavy vehicle instructors.

Regulator final assessment

The last stage is to show that you’re ready to teach. You’re required to:

  • Present lessons
  • Demonstrate safe driving
  • Perform a commentary drive
  • Complete various manoeuvres

Motorcycle instructors do not require a ruler final assessment but must be licensed by R&M prior to being able to instruct from the NSW Rdier Training Scheme.
Instructing drivers that have a limited or full licence

It is possible to get a Restricted Driving Instructor’s licence which lets you instruct riders or drivers of cars or motorbikes (not heavy vehicles) who have progressed past their student licence.

Employed as a driving instructor

Roads and Maritime monitors driving teacher behaviour under the Driving Instructors Act 1992. Ensure that you are familiar with your duties under the action otherwise you risk fines, suspension, loss of prosecution or license.
Working for an existing driving school

Some driving schools have a fleet of vehicles and employ teachers to work in them. You’ll be paid a salary or a contract rate and the company will give you students via their own advertising efforts. If the cover is a student, check what the minimum guaranteed amount of pupils is — you do not need to register and then just get five students a month — and what are the agreements during vacation periods.

Licensing or franchising

Other schools provide licencing and franchise opportunities in which you buy your own vehicle but make the most of their infrastructure and marketing either by buying a franchise or paying annual licence fees. This can be a simple way into owning your own business but with the brand awareness that a bigger company provides.

You’re technically working on your own and can run your company in whatever way you choose, however you should make certain to take advantage of all of the help the franchisor or licensor can supplier you.

Remember that building up your own business like this does not have a good deal of value as you can’t capitalise on selling the brand, just a certain amount of potential income, and since you won’t have repeat customers such as other company do, it can be a challenging proposition to sell.

Get advice from an accountant, business adviser or attorney prior to buying a franchise or licensing a new, and do your due diligence.

Placing your own driving school

In case you’ve got a good amount of business nous, you can set up your own driving school Liverpool. You may start with one vehicle and build up your reputation in a place. As soon as you’ve got steady customers perhaps you employ someone to take care of the administration and some of the marketing. Then as soon as you’re busy full time you can employ someone or permit your brand to them.

Running a business such as this is a lot more complicated and time consuming than working for another organization or operating a franchise/licence. In case you have staff you’ll have to manage them. You’ll have assumptions and duties and, if you do not have a lot of experience, it can help engage a company mentor early on to assist you with the construction of the company and putting systems in place so you don’t waste time.

You’ll Need to consider

Vehicle prices — buy or rent, operating costs, insurance, fit-out and sign writing
Other setup costs — site and email, business cards, logos, phone, business registration and legal compliance, purchasing your driving instructor licence
Your hourly rate — it is not a great idea to undercut other teachers as a) it starts a price war( b) you won’t earn money and, c) it makes you look cheap. Find ways of adding value as opposed to cutting your costs. How many hours do you must work to attain the profit you need to attain?

Time spent not at the car/on the bicycle — any time you’re spending doing admin, marketing or other activities which are not in the car mean that you’re not generating money. Could you be clever here by buying a tablet which you can use in your car as you’re between classes, for example.
Getting to your target market — you can not just build it and they will come (unless there is zero competition in your town ) so how are you going to make people conscious of your company? Mailbox drops, advertisements in the school newsletter, local newspapers and sites, local site profiles (e.g. Yelp and other directories), composing guest posts, using Google Adwords and other click-based advertising, sponsoring a local bar, etc..

Bear in mind that nearly all people who start companies are people that can do’something’, and they frequently neglect the knowledge necessary to run a company. If you can find a marketing advantage you’ll win in the long run.